Friday, June 14, 2013

Birthdays

Sometimes it feels like I'm drowning.

I'm turning a year closer to thirty next week. This particular birthday only goes on to remind me of those things I have not yet achieved in my life, things that I had set to the "by the time I'm thirty" timetable. Now I'm lucky if I manage to not be homeless by the time I'm thirty.

I would love to be on a path where I could build a career, but instead took on a job I am overqualified for. Now, I'm stuck at a thankless job that pays more than minimum wage, but not nearly as much as someone with a MA degree and experience in writing would require. Then there's my teaching job, which I love, but sucks out all the energy out of me. With the economy doing as badly as it has been recently and my student loans crippling my soul, how am I ever supposed to "make it"? I try not to lose faith, I try not to succumb to the depression I keep feeling hovering over me.

How much longer of this will I be able to take?

How many more resumes am I going to have to send out?


No comments:

Post a Comment